17 notes

Q: What are the differences between keloids and hypertrophic scars? Or what is the name of the bump you get from nostril piercings? I see so many different names for it I just want to know for sure what it’s called

Keloids are the excess growth of scar tissue at the site of a healed skin injury.

Keloids usually are not medically dangerous, but they may affect appearance. In some cases, they may become smaller, flatter, and less noticeable over a period of several years. (Source:

Hypertrophic scars are excess deposits of collagen that can form after a skin injury.

While both of these types of scarring can happen as a result of a body piercing, the bumps that sometimes appear on a piercing are often misidentified as a keloid or hypertrophic scar, when more often than not they are symptoms of irritation due to things such as improper aftercare, poor quality jewelry, physical irritation/pressure, or incorrect placement of the piercing.

Though hypertrophic scars and keloids are a possibility, diagnosing a bump as either is best left to a properly trained medical professional.

Cody Vaughn - Outreach Committee

Filed under scar scarring bump hypertrophic keloid safepiercing app

  1. 92jordyy reblogged this from safepiercing
  2. whattheworldisreallylike reblogged this from awfulmodifications
  3. awfulmodifications reblogged this from safepiercing
  4. safepiercing posted this